In general, planning permission for a conservatory is not required. Conservatories are considered to be permitted development which does not require an application of planning, provided that the conservatory meets a number of criteria.

  1. On designated land i.e. national parks and the Broads, Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty, conservation areas and World Heritage Sites, cladding of any part of the exterior of a house (including extensions/conservatories) with stone, artificial stone, pebble dash, render, timber, plastic or tiles is not permitted  development.
  2. On designated land conservatories extending beyond any side wall of the original house are NOT permitted development.
  3. Together with previous extensions, outbuildings or sheds, your new conservatory must not exceed 50% of the total area of land around the original house (i.e.  the house as it was first built or as it stood on 1 July 1948 if built before that date). As such, you will need to ensure that you are aware of any development carried out by previous owners.
  4. Conservatories forward of the principal elevation or side elevation of the original house and fronting a highway are NOT permitted development.
  5. Side conservatories must not have a width larger than half the width of the original house.
  6. Single-storey side conservatories should be no higher than four metres.
  7. If the conservatory is within two metres of a boundary, the maximum eaves height should be no higher than three metres to remain permitted development.
  8. Rear single-storey conservatories must not extend beyond the rear wall of the original house by more than three metres if an attached house or by four metres if a detached house.
  9. Rear single-storey conservatories must not exceed a maximum height of four metres.
  10. The greatest eaves height should not be above the eaves of the present house. The highest part of the conservatory should be no higher than the roof ridge line of the existing house.

Our advice on planning permission is issued as a guideline only. We recommend that you contact the appropriate Planning and / or Building Control Department of your local Council and obtain written confirmation of specific terms relating to your own property.

Further details: